About The Certification
The UESCA running coach certification is a comprehensive program that is based 100% online via a series of robust training modules. The UESCA running certification was developed by reviewing the latest peer-reviewed sports science journals and through feedback from our seasoned team that includes professional running coaches.
The training modules are comprised of varying learning mediums including text, images and video. Upon registering for the certification, the user has one year (365 days) to take the exam. Studying for the exam is self-paced.
The goal of this certification is to inform and educate individuals on the science behind running and the application of this information.
- Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of registration
- Proof of current CPR/AED or lifeguard certification (you may register for the certification without being CPR/AED certified – however you must be CPR/AED certified to take the exam)
- Access to high-speed internet
- Ability to view PDF documents via Adobe Reader
What You’ll Find Inside This Certification
The running certification consists of 22 robust online training modules that include videos. The modules represent the latest in research-based sports science and are designed to be an all-encompassing resource for those looking to become certified running coaches.
- Module 1: You… The Coach
- Module 2: Skeletal System
- Module 3: Muscular System
- Module 4: Energy Systems
- Module 5: Training Benchmarks
- Module 6: Biomechanical Assessments
- Module 7: Running Biomechanics
- Module 8: Injury and Illness
- Module 9: Resistance Training
- Module 9A: Resistance Training Exercises
- Module 10: Stretching and Myofascial Release
- Module 11: Client Intake
- Module 12: Goal Setting
- Module 13: Periodization
- Module 14: Training Program
- Module 15: Training Modalities
- Module 16: Pacing
- Module 17: Mental Training
- Module 18: Sports Nutrition
- Module 19: Safety
- Module 20: Running Shoes and Apparel
- Module 21: Race Preparation and Execution
- Module 22: Legal Issues
BONUS: Business and Marketing Module
For a detailed course syllabus and module excerpt, click here.
What Others Are Saying
I was a division 1 athlete, studied sports and exercise science for six years. As a high school cross country and track and field coach I am always looking to know more. The UESCA running certification helped me understand the art of running, more so endurance running. The material is easy to understand, whether you have a background in exercise science or not. This exam will prepare you as a running coach and it will definitely push you to think outside the box as a coach, it will make your programs better, and you better as a coach.
MS, CES, CPT, PES
This course is incredibly in-depth, while still being clear, concise, and offering real information I can use daily with a wide range of clients.
Certified Personal Trainer, Avid Runner
Being a life long team sport athlete turned runner after college has fostered my love for the human body and what it can achieve. I love learning more about how the body moves and works as I’ve followed my passion of fitness. Studying for the running certification has increased my knowledge and insight further than I thought possible. The training is great for those (like me) who don’t have a medical/physiological background but still gets into the ins and outs of the body and its workings. I feel confident that I can lead runners towards their goals after this training!
Certified Personal Trainer
Continuing Education Provider
The running coach certification provides CEU’s to the following organizations: